Amazing Facts about Devdas!
‘Devdas’ which released in 2002, starring Shah Rukh Khan as Devdas, Aishwarya Rai as Paro and Madhuri Dixit as Chandramukhi, was a dream project of Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The movie was the third film adaptation and first coloured film adaptation of Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay’s 1917 novella ‘Devdas’.
As the film completed 14 years today, we present to you some amazing and lesser know facts about it!
1) The first choice for the role of Devdas was Salman Khan. However, Salman rejected and the role eventually went to Shah Rukh Khan. Undoubtedly, Shah Rukh gave one of his career’s best performance in Devdas and took home Filmfare Best Actor Award in 2002.
2) The role of Chunni Lal was offered to Saif Ali Khan, Govinda and Manoj Bajpayee before Jackie Shroff was pegged. Interestingly, Manoj refused the role on the grounds that he was playing lead roles in all his films and doing a supporting role would hurt his saleability.
3) The popular song ‘Dola Re Dola’ took a week to write because Sanjay Leela Bhansali thought that it had to be perfect as he was uniting two of Bollywood’s biggest stars (Madhuri Dixit and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan).
4) During the ‘Dola re Dola’ dance, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s ears started to bleed due to the heavy earrings she was wearing, but the beauty continued dancing till the shoot got over. Some great professionalism, must say.
5) The sequence where Paro’s mother Sumitra is made to dance at a social gathering was inspired by a recurring nightmare of Sanjay Leela Bhansali where his mother was being humiliated.
6) In the song ‘Kahe Chedd Mohe’ the outfit worn by Madhuri Dixit weighed 30 kilograms. She faced alot of issues with the dance choreography, but the diva eventually completed it.
7) Kathak master Birju Maharaj choreographed ‘Kaahe Chedd Mohe’ especially for Madhuri Dixit.
8) Despite refusing the first two films of Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Kareena Kapoor screen tested for the role of Paro.
9) Ismail Darbar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali spent two-and-a-half years to compose the music. Each song, being complicated in their structure, had to be mixed eight to nine times, but the recording took only ten days.
10) The set of Chandramukhi’s kotha was constructed around a lake. Consequently, the water in the lake kept drying up and gallons of water had to be regularly filled in. Moreover, the bridge built across the lake had a tendency to sink at all the wrong times.
12) Musical duo Chase and Status sampled the song ‘Silsila Yeh Chahat Ka’ for their song ‘Eastern Jam’, while Snoop Dogg also sampled the same song for his song ‘Snopp Dogg Millionaire’.
13) “Devdas” was included in Time Magazine’s top 10 movies of the millennium worldwide.