Moong Dal Kachori
Presenting you the delicious recipe for moong dal kachori.
Soaking time: 2 hours
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 29 mins
Makes: 12 kachoris
For The Dough
2 cups plain flour (maida)
1/4 cup melted ghee
salt to taste
For The Moong Dal Filling-
1/2 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram), soaked for 2 hours and drained
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
2 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
oil for deep-frying
For the dough-
Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
For the moong dal filling-
1. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the moong dal and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
3. Add the ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and ¼ cup of water and mix well.
4. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Switch off the flame, add the besan, garam masala and dried mango powder and mix well.
6. Divide the filling into 12 equal portions and keep aside to cool.
How to proceed-
1. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
2. Roll out each portion of the dough into a 63 mm. (2½ “) diameter circle.
3. Place one portion of the moong dal filling in the centre.
4. Bring together all the sides, seal it tightly and remove any excess dough.
5. Roll the filled portion again into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle, while taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.
6. Gently press the centrer of the kachori with your thumb.
7. Repeat steps 2 to 6 to make 11 more kachoris.
8. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, 6 kachoris at a time on a medium flame, for 4 minutes.
9. Reduce the flame and deep-fry on a slow flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
10. Drain on an absorbent paper.
11. Repeat step 8 to deep-fry 6 more kachoris.