Prawn Chilli Fry
Prawn chilli fry tastes lip smacking with chapati, pao, rice, appams and dosa. The main ingredients used are prawn, tomato, onion and potatoes.This recipe is a quick and easy for modern housewives, mom to make something quick and delicious at the same time. It could be made as a side dish or main course. Also this dish has no ginger or garlic. The ingredients used are basic ingredients yet the flavor is mouthwatering.
Ingredients (used american measuring cup, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 250 gms prawns medium sized (de-veined and de- shelled)
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 3 medium sized onion chopped into julienne
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped finely
- 1 medium sized potato (peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4-5 garnicia indica (kokam) or 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely for garnish
salt as per taste
- Rinse the prawn, de-vein and de-shell them. Marinate the prawn with little salt and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile take a pan add oil. Once oil is hot add the onion julienne.
- Saute until they have changed color.
- Time to add the tomatoes.
- Also add in turmeric, kashmiri chili powder and sugar.
- Now add the potato cubes.
- Mix all nicely.
- Cover with a lid consisting water and simmer until potatoes are soft and cooked. There is no need to add extra water as this has to be cooked in it’s own juices. But do keep checking in between if the mixture is getting dry then add little water but not too much.
- Add prawn and salt for seasoning.
- Back to covering with a lid consisting water. Simmer for 2-3 mins or until prawn changes color and is cooked.
- Add kokam and cook without lid for 2 mins more.
- Switch off the gas, check the taste and alter any spices if required.
- Lastly garnish with coriander leaves. Serve goan prawn chilli fry hot with toasted bread, chapati, rice or pao.