Recipe for Fish pulao.
Presenting you the delicious recipe for fish pulao. It is a mouth-watering as well as stomach filling. It is the most comforting one-pot meal, not so spicy, still flavorful and delicate.
for making Rice :
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Onion – 1 (thin sliced)
Green Chilies – 1 tbsp (chopped ) optional
Cashew nuts – a handful ( halved )
Golden Raisins – a handful or little less ( soaked in half a cup of water )
Green Cardamom – 3
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch
Cloves – 3
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee ( clarified butter ) – 2 tbsp
for Making Fish :
Fish – 1 lb / around 500 g (any white fish or fish fillets like Bass / Swai / Tilapia / Bhetki cut into medium sized cubes )
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 small ( chopped )
Ginger – 1 tbsp ( paste)
Garlic – 1 and 1/2 tbsp (paste)
Tomato – one medium sized ( chopped )
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili powder – 1/2 tsp or as per the taste
Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
1. Wash and then soak the rice for about 15 minutes. Take a dip-bottomed pan, add 5 to 6 cups of water and heat it up. Once water starts to boil, add the rice and cook until rice is almost done.(90 % done). Make sure that rice is not overcooked.
2. Drain out the excess water out and spread the rice on a flat surface. Let it cool down completely.
3. Wash the fish pieces, sprinkle salt and turmeric and mix it well.
4. Take a pan, add oil to it and heat it up. Once oil is ready, add chopped onions, saute it till it is light brown, add ginger and garlic. Stir it and let it cook until raw smell goes off. Add tomato, sprinkle salt and again give some stirs.
5. Once tomato becomes cooked and soft, add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Stir it and mix it well until oil comes up from the sides of pan.
6. Add fish pieces, gently mix it with the other spice mixture and give a nice coat of spice. Lower the flame, cover the pan with lid and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
7. Open the lid, check the taste and add salt or chilies if needed.
8. Take a wok or a big pan, add 2 tbsp oil and 1 tsp ghee and heat it up. Once it is hot, add the cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. When they are fragrant, add sliced onion, fry it until it is golden brown and add the green chilies ( optional )
9. Add the cashew, give some stirs and add the raisins to the pan. Within couple of minutes add rice, mix it well and add salt and sugar. Add the fish pieces and again gently mix it with the rice.
10. Add 1 tbsp of ghee, check seasoning and cover it with lid. Lower the flame and let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
12. Fish Pulao or Pilaf is ready !! Serve hot with raita!!