Simple Prawn Curry
An easy Indian curry recipe made with prawns. Alternatively use white fish or chicken in the curry.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated root ginger
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 350ml (12 fl oz) fish or chicken stock
- 50g (2 fl oz) creamed coconut
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g (7 oz) peeled and cooked prawns
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Coat a hot frying pan with a little oil and fry the garlic, ginger and onion until onion has wilted. Season with curry powder, and fry for a further minute or two.
- Chop half of the red pepper finely. Add to the frying pan along with the tomatoes, and cook until tomatoes have totally broken down. Stir in the stock and creamed coconut and return to a boil. Taste and adjust seasoning if required and continue to simmer until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Chop the remaining onion into large chunks and chop the second half of the red pepper into strips. Fry these very briefly in a separate pan (1-2 minutes only)
- Add the onion and pepper mix to the main pan and bring to the boil again. Turn off heat immediately and add the prawns.
- Serve over rice and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Credits: All recipe