Unbelievable Facts About Indian Food
Our county India is the land of butter chicken, pani-puri, jalebi, dosas, masala’s and what not. Our love for food exceeds our love for everything else. And why shouldn’t it? With 29 states contributing to the Indian cuisine and with the number of dishes we have appreciate our India and we should be nothing but proud of it.
So, here are 11 Unbelievable facts about Indian food that will definitely amaze the foodie within you:
1. According to Indian food theory, there are six different tastes: sweet, sour, salty, spicy, bitter and astringent.
A proper Indian meal attempts to balance each of these flavors, with one or two of them standing out, but no one dish containing all six.
2. Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the Kallazhagar temple (Azhagar Kovil), 21 kms from Madurai distributes a unique Prasadam to the devotees – Dosas.
3. Love eating samosas? Well, here is a shock for you-it’s not Indian.
4. Did you know our India consumes 50% of the world’s whiskey.
5. Black Rice which is also known as Magic Rice, Forbidden Rice and Purple Rice, is a popular food preparation in Manipur.
It is only found in India and China. This unusual rice type is black in colour when harvested but turns purple when cooked.
6. India has the world’s lowest meat consumption per person.
7. 70% of all the world’s spices come from India.
8. The crystallization and making of sugar from sugarcane juice began in India.
9. Speaking of sugar, did you know that by the 5th century AD, crystallized sugar was referred to as khanda and this is where the word candy is derived from.
10. All that glitters is gold – including a gold dosa in India.
11. Chicken tikka masala, the hugely popular Indian curry, is NOT Indian. It was invented in Glasgow, Scotland.