Vazhaipoo is an excellent source of fiber. It is said to be effective in treating excessive bleeding during menstruation.
- Banana flower – 1 (cleaned and chopped)
- Onion – 1
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urad dal – 3/4 tsp
- Dry Red chillies – 2
- Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Clean and chop the banana flower as per the instructions given in the link.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and asafoetida. Saute for few minutes.
- Add the chopped banana flower, turmeric powder and salt. Add little water, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- After the flower is cooked, open the lid and add the grated coconut.
- Stir fry for 3-4 minutes till all the moisture dries out. Switch off and serve this tasty Vazhaipoo Poriyal as a side dish for rice and some curry. You can also use it as a stuffing to make sandwiches or parathas.
Credits: Simple indian recipes