Cassoulet is the dish that defines the cuisine of Toulouse, a city in southwestern France. This is a vegetarian version of the traditional French dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 450 grams white beans soaked overnight
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 kadhi patta (bay leaf)
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh lemon thyme, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh savory (optional)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and carrots in oil until tender.
- In a deep pot, combine beans, carrots and onion, mushroom broth, bouillon, and bay leaf. Pour in water. Tie together parsley, rosemary, thyme, and savory, and add to the pot. Cook till beans are just cooked. Take care to not let them get mushy.
- Stir in potato, and continue cooking for 1 hour. Remove herbs before serving.
Credits: All recipes